why not jsut turn their logic around on them and say that wouldnt god want all of amn to be saved... and if you want to hasten his return would you not also be condemed to the hellfires with the sinners?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Land" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 3:29 PM
Subject: Re: NASA envisions Mars warmed up for life

Warren,

On Feb 7, 2005, at 9:15 AM, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

On Feb 6, 2005, at 10:46 PM, David Land wrote:

And why not? "Left Behind"-reading, Biblical-literalist eco-terrorists
are plotting the demise of Earth in order to force God's hand and bring
about the end of days anyway.

Oh? Have you heard some news of which I'm unaware?

I'm reasonably sure that this has been discussed on the list, but here's (http://www.grist.org/news/maindish/2004/10/27/scherer-christian/) an article that discusses the topic. Especially, the following:

    But a scripture-based justification for anti-environmentalism?

    Many Christian fundamentalists feel that concern for the future
    of our planet is irrelevant, because it has no future. They
    believe we are living in the End Time, when the son of God will
    return, the righteous will enter heaven, and sinners will be
    condemned to eternal hellfire. They may also believe, along with
    millions of other Christian fundamentalists, that environmental
    destruction is not only to be disregarded but actually welcomed
    -- even hastened -- as a sign of the coming Apocalypse.

I'm reading "Saving the Bible From Fundamentalism" right now -- it
touches on exactly this kind of so-called "logic" that these scary
people use to support their nutty agenda.

    They need somewhere for La Haye's sick fantasy of suffering for
    people who don't believe just like him and his kind to take
    place.

And how appropriate it would be a place like Mars, named after a PAGAN god, who was an earlier PAGAN god under the Greeks, and we all know what *they* were famous for.**

Yes: logic. And we all know how popular *that* is among the religious right.

God help us.

Um. Years ago I had a button that read, "Dear lord, please protect me from your followers." However, I'd appeal to something a little closer to material reality for help. ;)

That's pretty much exactly what I meant. I have often wondered about the wisdom of God in putting us in charge of furthering His work on earth.

Dave