On Feb 18, 2005, at 8:26 PM, Julia Thompson wrote:

*Very* occasionally. And not with a very young child.

Really? Huh -- IME, the opposite is true. Corporal punishment is most effective with preverbal (preintellectual) children, because children at that stage of development cannot be reasoned with. A spanking is more effective (seems to me) with a two-year-old than a twelve-year-old.

So far, every situation I've encountered personally, there was a better alternative to spanking.

Well, sure, but my tranquilizer darts are in storage. :\

And it's more productive to reward good behavior than to punish bad behavior -- you get the results you're after more quickly, if it's a matter of handling a bad habit.

If the behavior is about attention-getting, sure; when it's bleating for the sake of making noise, there might be better ways than even duct tape suggests.

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf