On Sunday 2005-02-20 20:36, d.brin wrote:

> 2/  Why would our Iraq war "fuel Islamic resentment"?  Don't they see
> the great things we are doing?

<snip content="examples of abuses"/>

I think we did not hear these kinds of stories from Vietnam because we could
use the South Vietnamese as cutouts to interrogate war prisoners using
physical and psychological stressor.  Note that in Algeria, the French
enjoyed no such convenient patsy and earned a nasty reputation, in no small
part thanks to Fannon.

Guards need to be better supervised.

If no surrogate can be found, American interrogators need to improve their
technique and cover their tracks.  They should NOT use American guards as
surrogates.

> This is the price of empire:  Our souls.

What souls?  Surely the glory of empire is worth a national soul?  Empire and
glory are real virtues remembered through ages, national souls (if they
exist) exist to realize classical collective virtues.

Or perhaps we should say it is the realization return to our essential
national soul and traditional values.  It is this sort of behavior that made
America a Great Power.