On Mar 7, 2005, at 10:02 PM, Dan Minette wrote:

[those are some good refs, Dan -- I need some time to digest them though. ;) ]

This is getting close to the time where the introduction of a bit of
formalism might be helpful.  I think I can do it without going too deep
into the math.

That's probably good. It has been lo many a moon since I've cracked calculus in any depth.

But, first let me ask you a question. Are you familiar with eigenstates
and superpositions? For example, if you measure the spin in the x
direction, the spin in the y (which is orthogonal to x) is a superposition
of up and down. |s> = ( |+> + |->)/sqrt(2). Is that something you've seen
and feel comfortable with discussions that assume that you know it?

Not quite yet. Is there anything even approximating a usable metaphor, or something out of more classical physics I could assimilate more readily?

It appears that there is some interest in the fundamentals of the issues,
and I wouldn't mind putting together some stuff on those fundamentals.

If there's a way to make QM look less totally outrageous (which means, to me, less metaphysical), I'd certainly be interested in exploring it. :D

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf