On Apr 6, 2005, at 10:48 AM, Nick Arnett wrote:

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:38:14 -0700, Warren Ockrassa wrote

The monk smiled. "Don't worry about that. Only be aware of the urge."

Good story!

:D

Wasn't mine, though. It's an old Buddhist tale.

Sometimes I'm convinced that spiritual growth, maturity, call it what you
want, are other names for increased self-awareness.

Who was it who defined the marks of a "self-actualized" person? Ah, Google. Maslow, Abraham Maslow.

Characteristics of...:

<http://www.performance-unlimited.com/samain.htm>

...and a very interesting paper on Taoism, Zen and self-actualization:

<http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-ADM/chang.htm>

The best questions I ask
myself are like these -- "What is my intent?" "Am I attached to a certain
outcome?" "What is my part in this?"

Those are good questions. One of my current favorites is "What am I doing?" -- meaning *now*. What exactly am I doing right at this moment? It tends to center the consciousness in the present.

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf