Knowing how much discussion there has been about wrist/hand symptoms on list
in the past I thought I would share my notes from a recent conference.  I have
edited to keep it rather on the "lighter" side, but this is stuff based in
peer reviewed journals and is reinforcing some of the models that have been out
there.  Interestingly I think it will shape even more comprehensive treatment
in the future (more in the next post)
Dee

Research in Rat Models-

HRHF-High Rep High Freq Cycle Group
HRLF-High Rep Low Freq Cycle Group
In both groups at 3-6 weeks tissue changes were noted in nerves and muscles
Changes were bilateral- even if the task was one handed.
Increase changes with increased performance

Research is now be beginning on what happens if repetition is decreased after
6-8 weeks

LRNF- Low Rep Nominal Force- no decline in performance
HRNF- Some Recovery of task performance by Week 6
HRHF- Decline at 3 weeks with ongoing decline

Recovery is dose dependent

MSD Risk Factors
Physical
    Repetition- high= (hand) <30 sec cycle, low=>30 sec cycle (Silverstein
1986)
        -for LB see NIOSH
    Force- High=>4kg, Low=<1kg (Silverstein)
    Posture- awkward or static
    Vibration
    Mechanical- pounding or leaning
    Environmental- temp or lighting
PsychoSocial
    Work organizational
        Work structure flow
        Amount of decision making
        Supervision type
        Social support
        Stress
Individual Predisposition
        Comorbidities (PMHx/leisure)
        Psychosocial

MSD and Sickness Response
In rats signs of withdrawal coincide with peak local/systemic inflammation
Evidence for peripheral-central communication via peripheral stimulation
shows unilat injury can cause bilateral symptoms