http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_%28folklore%29

"In a bid to save his job, and the jobs of his men, John Henry
challenges the inventor to a contest: John Henry VS. the Steam-Hammer.
John defeats the Steam-Hammer in driving spikes, but in the process he
suffers a heart attack and dies a martyr. In modern depictions John
Henry is usually portrayed as hammering down rail spikes, but older
songs often instead refer to him driving blasting holes into rock,
part of the process of excavating railroad tunnels."

~Maru