William T Goodall wrote:

On 19 May 2005, at 1:32 am, Dave Land wrote:

On May 18, 2005, at 5:15 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

At 05:52 PM Wednesday 5/18/2005, Nick Arnett wrote:

On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:45:15 -0400, Erik Reuter wrote
> * Julia Thompson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> > I've been asked to ask you to tone it down on personal attacks
> > on-list.
> >
> > If you make many more personal attacks on-list, the  probability of
> > your being placed on moderation will be non-zero.

Posting a private e-mail to the public list, which I'm fairly  certain
was done without Julia's permission, is lousy netiquette.

On a couple of other lists I am a member of, doing that or its converse
(forwarding an on-list message off-list) is grounds for immediate
dismissal, regardless of who does it or how long they have been there or
how well liked they are.

I had just discussed this kind of abuse in an off-list exchange with a manager of a list that I am on, in which I echoed Ronn!'s experience: there are plenty of lists on which the forwarding of off-list messages without permission is grounds for banning, if not heavy moderation.

BUT: before we rush to judgment, I don't think we've heard from
either Julia or Erik as to whether she'd given him permission. Also, the
list's Etiquette Guidelines <http://www.mccmedia.com/brin-l/ etiquette.htm>
do not specifically address this issue, and not everyone has had Ronn!'s
experience with other lists that observe it. It may simply be a matter of
learning, like not top-posting.

Since it looks like the Julia's message was in her capacity as a list- admin that muddies the waters a bit more it seems to me. Especially since one of the people involved is Nick who is the list owner.

I agree with William.

IMO, until there is some policy that specifically says otherwise, anything sent off-list by an admin in an administrative capacity is fair game for the list as a whole.

I prefer to send such things off-list, as there is potential for public embarassment of the intended recipient if it's done publicly, but if the recipient wants to make it public, I personally don't have a problem with that.

Non-administrative private e-mails, however, are a different matter, and I'd take a dim view of, say, Ronn! posting to the list something Dan M. had sent him off-list without first getting Dan's permission.

        Julia