http://tinyurl.com/aom39

http://www.money.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2005/06/13/ccpers13.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2005/06/13/ixfrontcity.html

Personal view: Forget global warming. Let's make a real difference
By Bjørn Lomborg (Filed: 13/06/2005)

Last Tuesday, 11 of the world's leading academies of science, including
the Royal Society, told us that we must take global warming seriously.

Their argument is that global warming is due to mankind's use of fossil
fuels, that the consequences 100 years from now will be serious,
and that we therefore should do something dramatic. We should make
substantial and long-term reductions of greenhouse gases along the lines
of the Kyoto Protocol.

This is perhaps the strongest indication that well-meaning scientists
have gone beyond their area of expertise and are conducting
unsubstantiated politicking ahead of next month's meeting of the G8.

Of course, as scientists, they should point out that fossil fuels will
warm the world. This is indeed the majority opinion and likely to be
true. Moreover, they should also tell us the likely impact of global
warming over the coming century, which is likely to have fairly serious
consequences, mainly for developing nations.

But to inform us accurately they have to go further than that. They
should tell us what will happen even if we implement the fairly
draconian measures of Kyoto - which they curiously do not.

They do not tell us that even if all the industrial nations agreed to
the cuts (about 30pc from what would otherwise have been by 2010), and
stuck to them all through the century, the impact would simply be to
postpone warming by about six years beyond 2100. The unfortunate peasant
in Bangladesh will find that his house floods in 2106 instead.

Moreover, they should also tell what they expect the cost of the Kyoto
Protocol to be. That may not come easy to natural scientists, but there
is plenty of literature on the subject, and the best guess is that the
cost of doing a very little good for the third world 100 years from now
would be $150billion per year for the rest of this century.

Even after the Brown/Blair exertions to extract more aid for Africa,
the West spends about $60billion helping the third world. One has to
consider whether the proportions are right here.

This brings us to the strongest evidence that the national academies
are acting in a political rather than scientific and informational
manner.  Why do they only talk about climate politics? Surely this is
not the only important issue with a considerable science component? What
about the challenge of HIV/Aids? What about malaria, malnutrition,
agricultural research, water, sanitation, education, civil conflicts,
financial instability, trade and subsidies? The list goes on.

What is more than curious is that the national academies have not found
it necessary to tell the politicians that solutions to these many
problems should be top priorities too. Even the host of the G8, Tony
Blair, has recognised that the problems of Africa should also be a top
priority.

Of course, this is because one cannot talk about top priorities from
a natural science perspective. What we should do first depends on the
economics of where we can do the most good for the resources we spend.
Some of the world's most distinguished economists - including three
Nobel laureates - answered this question at the Copenhagen Consensus
last year, prioritising all major policies for improving the world.

They found dealing with communicable diseases like Aids and malaria,
malnutrition, free trade and clean drinking water were the world's top
priorities. The experts rated urgent responses to climate change at the
bottom. In fact, the panel called these ventures, including Kyoto, "bad
projects", because they actually cost more than the good they do.

Surely we can all agree that the G8 meeting should do the most good
possible, but we already know that this does not mean dealing with just
climate change. The national academies must stop playing politics and
start providing their part of the necessary input to tackle the most
urgent issues first.

The urgent problem of the poor majority of this world is not climate
change. Their problems are truly very basic: not dying from easily
preventable diseases; not being malnourished from lack of simple
nutrients; not being prevented from exploiting opportunities in the
global economy by lack of free trade.

So please, let us do the right things first.

Bjørn Lomborg is the organiser of Copenhagen Consensus, adjunct
professor at the Copenhagen Business School and author of The Skeptical
Environmentalist