On 23 Jun 2005, at 7:22 pm, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

On Jun 23, 2005, at 9:06 AM, William T Goodall wrote:

Of course the religious are keen to volunteer to interfere in the lives of the unfortunate - this is a golden opportunity to disseminate the virulent poison of their evil religious memes.

Isn't a perspective unassailable by argument, no matter how rational, a hallmark of what we might call a religious mindset?

Or perhaps a hallmark of my being irrefutably correct? There's a reason arguing against religion is like shooting fish in a barrel and that reason is that religion is a load of evil nonsense.

Or is it more of a run-of-the-mill obsession?

Everyone needs a few hobbies.

Perhaps if you'd come to your atheism from an originally religious background you'd have more perspective on some of the *merits* of religion -- as well as considerably more justification to hate it. I got over my hatred (I think), and it took me years to do it. But at least, when I denigrate some of the religious practices extant in the world, I do it from a perspective of experience, from having once been an insider to those claustrophobic and self-righteous memes.

That could be why I can see evidence of those memes in your statements, while you're apparently unaware of them yourself.

They aren't religious though, so they don't count.

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The Macintosh uses an experimental pointing device called a 'mouse.' There is no evidence that people want to use these things."
-John C. Dvorak, SF Examiner, Feb. 1984.