On 14 Jul 2005, at 1:34 am, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

I wrote...

I have two columns - let's call them A and Z - and I want to calculate
what would in any decent programming language be the sum
of f(A[i], Z[i]) [where f is a given function]. Is there any way I can
do this?

... and now I regret for the oversimplification.

The precise thing that I want makes it not viable to create
a new column, because _f_ will not remain a function, but
a _series_ of functions - and creating one new column for each
_f_ is not adequate.

You don't want to keep the intermediate results then?

Namely: there is a table with values A[i] and Z[i]. There is
another table with values F[j] [and here I use different indexes
on purpose]. I want to make column G[j] as...

G[j] = sum over i ( function of (F[j], A[i] and Z[i]))

So, the extra-column solution won't work.

I would like something like:

G[j] = SUM( etc etc F[j] etc etc A1:A1000 etc etc Z1:Z1000)

but somehow this construct does not work.

VBA?

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Mac OS X is a rock-solid system that's beautifully designed. I much prefer it to Linux." - Bill Joy.