On Sep 5, 2005, at 6:18 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

is a universe of possibilities. We haven't even *begun* to discuss the
other Unixes out there!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Then I hope you won't mind a mention of FreeBSD, about which I knew nothing until I started using a FreeBSD-based flavor of Unix recently, one from a
certain fruit-themed company in Cupertino.

It'll be a while 'til you can get a copy of OS X that will run on
non-Apple Intel hardware, but in the meanwhile, FreeBSD itself is very
well-regarded from a security standpoint and has all the requisite bits
and pieces.

And when you *can* get a copy of OS X that will run on arbitrary Intel
hardware, you will be in for the treat of your Unixy life.

Dave