On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:47 AM, William T Goodall wrote:

On 22 Dec 2005, at 7:07 pm, Dave Land wrote:

Western cultures equate truth with factuality. Nonetheless, myths, legends and other _stories_ have tremendous truth-value despite their being possibly apocryphal and sometimes provably unfactual.

"The citizens of the Dover area were poorly served by the members of the Board who voted for the ID Policy. It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose behind the ID Policy." - Judge John E. Jones III

I think I prefer my truths to be true rather than what someone happens to think is expediently 'true' in the service of their agenda.

Yup. The class in which this issue of factuality and truth came up is called "Living the Questions". It is pointedly aligned with the statement "I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions." It is fiercely, perhaps excessively, leery of certitude.

A person of your opinions might find lots to like in it (plenty to dislike, too, no doubt), but at your challenges to blind faith would be honored.

Dave