-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of William T Goodall
Sent: December 31, 2005 3:28 PM
To: Killer Bs Discussion
Subject: Re: Media Myth - Guns Are Always Bad for Us

On 31 Dec 2005, at 3:24 pm, Gary Nunn wrote:

> I apologize in advance, because I know this topic can get a bit
> heated on
> this list. The reason I'm posting this, is because this is the
> first media
> article that I've seen, from a major media outlet, that makes an
> attempt to
> be fair and accurate.
>

>If the difference in violent crime or murder rates or whatever was
>really obviously significantly different between gun-control/non-gun-
>control areas then one side or the other of the debate would be
>trumpeting that fact loudly. So whatever difference guns make it
>isn't enough for either side to have proved it after years of argument.

>Given that we have strict controls over the sale of alcohol, tobacco,
>fireworks and other possibly harmful materials it seems entirely
>sensible and in line with other regulation to control firearms sales
>especially since there is no compelling evidence that they
>significantly improve (or harm) personal safety *in general* but are
>obviously dangerous items individually.

>Most comparisons of gun ownership/crime rates are apples/oranges
>comparisons. Anomalies like Switzerland crop up.

>I'd be interested in a comparison of the USA with places that are
>similar such as Canada or Australia. That might be more enlightening
>than comparisons with Europe or South America.

>--
>William T Goodall
>Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Web  : http://www.wtgab.demon.co.uk
>Blog : http://radio.weblogs.com/0111221/

>If you listen to a UNIX shell, can you hear the C?

http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/050628/d050628a.htm

"Health Reports: Deaths involving firearms
2002:

The rate of deaths involving firearms declined by more than one-half between
1979 and 2002, according to a new report based on the most recent data
available from the Canadian Mortality Data Base.

The report in the latest edition of Health Reports showed that 816
individuals — 767 males and 49 females — died from injuries related to
firearms in 2002.

Among males, this represented a rate of 4.9 deaths for every 100,000
population, down from 10.6 in 1979. The rate for females fell from 1.2
deaths for every 100,000 population to 0.3.

In each year during this period, about four-fifths of firearms-related
deaths were suicides. Homicides accounted for around 15% of such deaths, and
about 4% were unintentional.

In 1979, the rate of deaths related to firearms was highest among young
people aged 15 to 24. By 2002, the differences between age groups had
largely disappeared for people aged 15 or older.

The risk of death from an injury related to firearms was a fraction of that
in the United States. In 2000, the rate of homicide involving a gun in the
United States was 3.8 for every 100,000 population, nearly eight times
Canada's rate of 0.5.

In Canada, homicides accounted for 18% of deaths involving firearms in 2000,
compared with 38% in the United States.

Decline in homicide rates involving firearms:

Canada's rate of homicide involving firearms declined since 1979, mirroring
a decrease in the overall homicide rate. However, the proportion of
homicides in which a firearm was used remained fairly stable over the entire
period at just under one-third.

A report based on police records indicates that handguns accounted for
two-thirds of homicides involving firearms in 2002, up from about one-half
during the 1990s. Rifles and shotguns accounted for one-quarter of all
homicides involving firearms.

In 2002, 31 people were unintentionally killed by firearms, less than
one-half of the total of 71 in 1979. Three of the victims in 2002 were
younger than 15, compared with 16 in 1979. Another 3 were between 15 and 24
compared with 27 in 1979. Declines in death rates in these two age groups
accounted for much of the drop in the overall rate of unintentional
firearms-related deaths between 1979 and 2002.

Among all suicides committed throughout the 1980s, around one in three
involved firearms. By 2002, this proportion had declined to only about one
in six."

Ok with the US being roughly 10x the pop of Canada.... were at about 32.5
million right now that would put us scaled up at about 8200 persons having
firearm related deaths. With direct homicide that would be about 2500 at us
pop. Our rate hold true to about one third of firearm related deaths being
homicides.

Keep in mind that this is all 2002 stats well '77 through'02 and this year
in Ontario alone the total fire arm deaths are @ 71 up 30 from previous
years that’s a 73% jump. The latest was a boxing day shooting in Toronto
that claimed the life of a 15 year old girl and injured 6 others. Its now
looking like there will be a near total ban on all hand guns if the Liberals
are elected to power on Jan. 23rd.

Currently there are really 2 camps that are slugging it out on this issue,
the liberals who want more laws and to create a new gun task force within
the RCMP who are in a huge manpower shortage. Then there is the
Conservatives who are taking a stance on increasing funding to the provinces
and increasing the funding to the RCMP to enforce the current laws, as well
as increasing sentence lengths and giving mandatory min sentences for all
firearm related crimes.

The main problem with the RCMP shortage is that after a decade of budget
cuts the RCMP cannot cover all its duties properly so officers are tasked
from major crime division to fill gaps in local districts. Right now I
believe that the RCMP staffing is at 80% of needed positions and the ONE
training school for them can only put through 1500 cadets a year.

nick