On Mar 21, 2006, at 3:51 PM, David Hobby wrote:

Personally, I think the best solution is to help Iraq turn
into three separate countries in a peaceful manner.
(One each for the Kurds, Sunnis and Shiites.)

Chances are the Shia part would merge with Iran, and possibly the Sunni part with Syria or Jordan, leaving a new Kurdistan. Net gain, no countries... :)

This doesn't fit in with our geo-political plans, or those
of Turkey, etc.  So what?  It would be best for the Iraqi
people, and doing what's best for them is about the only
remaining excuse for the whole war in the first place.

Innit. :-i

Charlie