On Mar 22, 2006, at 11:07 PM, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

My backup HD seems to be corrupted under "game mode" [Windows XP],
giving an error message [in Portuguese] that probably translates
to:

  Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

It's a MAXTOR, and it is functional in Linux. I _may_ have hit
the computer the last time I switched to "game mode", prior
to the error.

Is there any way to recover the HD for Windows XP without F&R?

Spinrite might do it, it's a dos thing. Don't have a copy handy unfortunately, my windows stuff is all in Cyprus (and I'm in Oz still with my iBook...).

Charlie