> I don't see how it works this way.  Let me propose a defiantly
> non-scientific method for predicting the weather 2 months in advance.  It
is
> "ask Jimmy."  Let's assume, for reasons unknown, that Jimmy has an uncanny
> ability to predict the local weather two months in advance.  We find that
> his prediction of rainfall, snow, wind direction and speed, and
temperature
> range for two months in the future matches the accuracy of the Weather
> Bureau's forecast for the next day.  We don't know how it works, but we
can
> prove, through scientific methodology, that "ask Jimmy" is an accurate
means
> of predicting weather 2 months in advance.

More obvious: the direction in which an object moves when you release it.
Numerous experiments show that the object falls towards the ground. We have
a rather solid statistical sampling concerning that behavior. However, no
one can actuall prove that this will be true in every case. Nevertheless, we
assume that there is such a "thing" as gravity, and that we explain a hell
lot of stuff with this "scientifc law".

- Klaus