A friend just sent me a copy of this Fox News video:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/128967/water_as_fuel/

As he was telling me about it, I immediately thought "perpetual motion
scam", but watching the video and then checking
out their web site http://hytechapps.com/index.html, it seems their claims
aren't quite that outlandish, though I'm still pretty
suspicious.  Sadly the news report is fairly lightweight and fails to ask
any probing questions or technical details.

From poking around their web site, I've gather that what they claim
- to have created an is a technique/device that can quickly and cheaply
electrolyze water into an apparently "new" form of
water they call "Aquygen" gas or HHO (but still just chemically H20
composition).
- The HHO gas is stable but combustible, and with many unique properties,
some of which are "clear evidence that the gas
has a structure other than a molecular structure, namely, that its chemical
composition includes bonds beyond those of
valence type."  Whatever that means.
- This electrolyzation process is faster and much more electrically
efficient that the traditional method to break water into
2H and O gases.
- The per-pound energy of the HHO gas is 10-12 times that of gasoline.
- In testing, an estimated 4HP of (gas/water hybrid) engine power could
produce enough HHO gas as a fuel supplement to
provide a net 17HP gain.

On the suspicious side:
- In the news report, the guy claims he had the car running on just water
(100 miles on 4 oz!)  but now converted it to be hybrid
gasoline/water.  Why?  Wouldn't a pure water powered car be 1000% more
impressive?
- These guy's whole rinky-dink "garage-workshop" feel and the slim technical
information they do give out makes it seem like
they're "winging it", at best.
- Wouldn't a "chemical bonds beyond those of valence type" be a pretty big
scientific thing?  Why no researchers besides that
guy from Italy?

On the "legit" side:
- The news reports statements out them building a hummer for the
army, demoing for Conngress, talking with automaker, etc, if true,
makes me think they must have some credibility.  I'd have to believe that
before before the Army, automaker, etc gave them a second
glance, they'd have to at least have passed a first- or second-order BS
filter by some people a lot more knowledgeable than me.