Dan wrote:

Well, McClellan was the first one to come to mind to me.

McClellen was not a political appointment. He may have remained in his position too long due to political considerations, but he was a West Point graduate, was successful early in the war and was recommended by Winfield Scott. Furthermore, his army was well trained and organized and his men were dedicated to him.

But, there are also a number of generals who had little or no military experience before being appointed. Among them are Butler, Banks, McClernand, Fremont, and Sigel. I obtained the latter list from

http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/jala/21.1/simpson.html

which argued that the latter were the real political generals.

By 1864, generals who could win were selected more often. As the essay points out as a counter to the political general argument, > these victorious generals influenced the election...even though the direct political motivation for appointing them was not > significant. But, I think this actually proves the point...Lincoln saw the bigger picture and did what was needed to kept the > Union.

What I got out of the article was that those political appointments were mistakes both politically and strategically; that Lincoln's reelection efforts would have profited from military victories and that the appointment of incompetent leadership was instrumental in denying those victories.

A better illustration of Lincoln's understanding of the inherent political nature of the problem would be how he handled the emancipation question. Another would be the handling of a volatile cabinet that, while it included some of the most competent men in the country, it was composed of intense political rivals three of whom (Bates, Chase and Seward) actually opposed Lincoln in his bid for the Republican nomination.

--
Doug
Currently reading Goodwin's "Team of Rivals"