> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> EM  radiation DOES cause cancer and cell damage and
> physical trauma.
> Go  lie out naked in the sun for a while, you'll
> see.

<snippage> ... I'm certainly far more
> worried about skin  cancer than I am about brain
> tumours.
> Once again the key has to be whether the em
> radiation from cell phones is
> powerful enough to cause DNA damage in the brain. My
> point is that the brain is
> bathed in em all the time and unless the cell phones
> produce a different or
> more  powerful type of radiation the brain should
> have no trouble dealing with
> this.  By the way there is no evidence of increased
> cancer risks in adults who
> have  undergone CT scan even multiple scans where
> the radiation exposure is
> orders of  magnitudes greater than that from a cell
> phone. Even radiation
> therapy to the  brain does not cause a significant
> increase in additional cancers...

Fetal and childhood exposure is another matter,
however.  I have previously cited the small but
detectable increase in leukemia with fetal exposure to
imaging X-rays; here are a few more [note that
theoretical risks are typically calculated, b/c one
cannot deliberately irradiate a thousand pregnant
women and follow the babies born]:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16498123&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum
...CONCLUSION: Radiation doses to the fetus from
institutional MDCT protocols that may be used during
pregnancy (for pulmonary embolus, appendicitis, and
renal colic) are below the level thought to induce
neurologic detriment to the fetus. Imaging the mother
for appendicitis theoretically may double the fetal
risk for developing a childhood cancer. Radiation
doses to the fetus from pulmonary embolus chest CT
angiography are of the same magnitude as
ventilation-perfusion (V/Q) scanning.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11159059&query_hl=8&itool=pubmed_docsum
...CONCLUSION: The best available risk estimates
suggest that pediatric CT will result in significantly
increased lifetime radiation risk over adult CT, both
because of the increased dose per milliampere-second,
and the increased lifetime risk per unit dose. Lower
milliampere-second settings can be used for children
without significant loss of information. Although the
risk-benefit balance is still strongly tilted toward
benefit, because the frequency of pediatric CT
examinations is rapidly increasing, estimates that
quantitative lifetime radiation risks for children
undergoing CT are not negligible may stimulate more
active reduction of CT exposure settings in pediatric
patients.

WRT adults:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15128988&query_hl=8&itool=pubmed_docsum
PURPOSE: To estimate the radiation-related lung cancer
risks associated with annual low-dose computed
tomographic (CT) lung screening in adult smokers and
former smokers, and to establish a baseline risk that
the potential benefits of such screening should
exceed. MATERIALS AND METHODS: The estimated lung
radiation dose from low-dose CT lung examinations
corresponds to a dose range for which there is direct
evidence of increased cancer risk in atomic bomb
survivors. Estimated dose-, sex-, and smoking
status-dependent excess relative risks of lung cancer
were derived from cancer incidence data for atomic
bomb survivors and used to calculate the excess lung
cancer risks associated with a single CT lung
examination at a given age in a U.S. population. From
these, the overall radiation risks associated with
annual CT lung screening were estimated. RESULTS: A
50-year-old female smoker who undergoes annual CT lung
screening until age 75 would incur an estimated
radiation-related lung cancer risk of 0.85%, in
addition to her otherwise expected lung cancer risk of
approximately 17%. The radiation-associated cancer
risk to other organs would be far lower. If 50% of all
current and former smokers in the U.S. population aged
50-75 years received annual CT screening, the
estimated number of lung cancers associated with
radiation from screening would be approximately
36,000, a 1.8% (95% credibility interval: 0.5%, 5.5%)
increase over the otherwise expected number.
CONCLUSION: Given the estimated upper limit of a 5.5%
increase in lung cancer risk attributable to annual
CT-related radiation exposure, a mortality benefit of
considerably more than 5% may be necessary to outweigh
the potential radiation risks.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15273333&query_hl=8&itool=pubmed_docsum
PURPOSE: To estimate the radiation-related cancer
mortality risks associated with single or repeated
full-body computed tomographic (CT) examinations by
using standard radiation risk estimation methods.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: The estimated dose to the lung
or stomach from a single full-body CT examination is
14-21 mGy, which corresponds to a dose region for
which there is direct evidence of increased cancer
mortality in atomic bomb survivors. Total doses for
repeated examinations are correspondingly higher. The
authors used estimated cancer risks in a U.S.
population derived from atomic bomb-associated cancer
mortality data, together with calculated organ doses
from a full-body CT examination, to estimate the
radiation risks associated with single and multiple
full-body CT examinations. RESULTS: A single full-body
CT examination in a 45-year-old adult would result in
an estimated lifetime attributable cancer mortality
risk of around 0.08%, with the 95% credibility limits
being a factor of 3.2 in either direction. A
45-year-old adult who plans to undergo annual
full-body CT examinations up to age 75 (30
examinations) would accrue an overall estimated
lifetime attributable risk of cancer mortality of
about 1.9%, with the 95% credibility limits being a
factor of 2 in either direction...

For diagnostic radiation in general:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15070562&query_hl=8&itool=pubmed_docsum
BACKGROUND: Diagnostic X-rays are the largest man-made
source of radiation exposure to the general
population, contributing about 14% of the total annual
exposure worldwide from all sources. Although
diagnostic X-rays provide great benefits, that their
use involves some small risk of developing cancer is
generally accepted. Our aim was to estimate the extent
of this risk on the basis of the annual number of
diagnostic X-rays undertaken in the UK and in 14 other
developed countries. METHODS: We combined data on the
frequency of diagnostic X-ray use, estimated radiation
doses from X-rays to individual body organs, and risk
models, based mainly on the Japanese atomic bomb
survivors, with population-based cancer incidence
rates and mortality rates for all causes of death,
using life table methods. FINDINGS: Our results
indicate that in the UK about 0.6% of the cumulative
risk of cancer to age 75 years could be attributable
to diagnostic X-rays. This percentage is equivalent to
about 700 cases of cancer per year. In 13 other
developed countries, estimates of the attributable
risk ranged from 0.6% to 1.8%, whereas in Japan, which
had the highest estimated annual exposure frequency in
the world, it was more than 3%. INTERPRETATION: We
provide detailed estimates of the cancer risk from
diagnostic X-rays. The calculations involved a number
of assumptions and so are inevitably subject to
considerable uncertainty. The possibility that we have
overestimated the risks cannot be ruled out, but that
we have underestimated them substantially seems
unlikely.

Diagnostic X-rays and therapeutic radiation have saved
many lives; they have also taken a few.  As with all
medical interventions, you have to weigh benefit and
cost.  Having undergone 2 total body CT scans post
major accidents, I will choose actual colonoscopy over
future VR-CT colonoscopy (which ought to be available
by the time I need to start that screening), in order
to avoid additional radiation.

Debbi
SPF 50, Baby! Maru
or
Ah Dasn't Dahre Risk Mah Fish-belly Hwite Skin To Th'
Burnin' Raise Of Th' Suhn Maru
;)