DanM wrote:

> > And are there any acceptable exceptions? Like danger to the mother's
> > health? For the doctor *is* bound to consider his patient's well-being
> > first, and the unborn baby hasn't hired the doctor...
> >
> > Also, once, if, the abortion rates go down, who does what to ensure
> > that the unwanted born babies are nurtured properly?
>
> Well, the unwanted ones could be humanely killed after 10 days, like the
> ASPCA does.

Eh? But what happens to he right to life from the moment of conception
then? Does that right end after birth?

> Now, I know that's a sarcastic...but the sarcasm wasn't really aimed at
> you. The purpose of it is to illustrate how different fundamental
> assumptions result in different reasonable statements.

But wasn't the fundamental assumption here each individual's right to
life? Even *before* they can take care of themselves? How does that change
just because the baby is out of the uterus? And babies can't take care of
themselves - they still need nurturing, especially for the first couple of
years. And in the absence of that nurturing, they can die. Or receive
crippling physiological and/or psychological injuries.

> So, I don't think it is helpful to make arguments based on one's own
> axiom set and then expect them to sound "reasonable" to someone who
> holds a different axiom set.

Could you please explain the bit about different axiom sets? Is it because
I think that the right to life is enjoyed even after birth and JDG was
just talking about until birth? That's not different axiom sets, Dan. That
is just a difference in the length of time we are considering. Everything
else is the same - the individual, and his/her right to life.

Ritu