...and Despair.  (Shelly)

Here's a quick teaser for the Collapse discussion; a summary of the prologue. Hopefully we can draw a little more interest.

The above quote is from Shelly's poem Ozymandus:

I met a traveler from and antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert.  Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered vissage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive, stampt on these lifeless things,
The hand that mockt them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains.  Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Apparently the society that begat Ozzie's Mighty works has collapsed. But how come?

Diamond defines collapse as a drastic decrease in human population size and/or political/social/economic complexity, over a considerable area, for an extended time. He believes that past collapses (the Anastaazi, the Maya, Mycenean Greece, Minoan Crete, Easter Island etc.) have one thing in common; ecocide or unintended ecological suicide. This ecocide came about as a result of factors both natural and human as a result of any or all of the following reasons: deforestation and habitat destruction, soil problems, water management problems, over hunting, over fishing, effects of introduced species, human population growth and increased per capita impact.

He says that when he began to plan the book he thought it would just be about environmental damage, but that he arrived at a five point framework of possible contributing factors: environmental damage, climate change, hostile neighbors, friendly trade partners and the societies response to environmental problems; the last of these proving significant in every case.

Another interesting question he discusses here is the controversy surrounding the verdict that many of these societies did things to contribute to their own decline. Many indigenous people insist their ancestors were "gentle and ecologically wise stewards" and "could never have done all those bad things"

He also discusses practical lessons that may be learned by studying these collapses; what made them vulnerable, what were the processes, why did they fail to see it coming and which solutions succeeded? Some societies survived potential problems and others proved fragile.

He also wonders if technology has made us more or less vulnerable.

That's all I've got time for right now. I'm on vacation (and away from my computer) for the next four days. I'll get started on Part 1, Modern Montana, when I return. Any suggestions on or off list are encouraged and appreciated. I'm new at this and could use the help.

By the way I’m reading the trade paperback, Penguin, 2006, 575 pages. I got it for $10 at Costco.

--
Doug