I admit that this is the first poll I've seen where questions of fact are
asked on a party basis.  I've seen a number of polls, though, that indicate
a denial of facts that fall in line with arguments by Democratic
politicians.

The classic one I recall was a poll on the profit per gallon of gasoline
made by oil companies in the '90s.  The majority thought that it was in the
20c/gallon range.  But, at that time, oil was at about $18/barrel, unleaded
gasoline spot price was about $0.50 gallon, and oil companies were making
about 6% of sales as profit.  Translated into a per gallon price, it was
$0.03 cents.

Another recent one that comes to mind is the fraction of people who believe
that the oil companies have major responsibility for the change in the price
of gasoline and crude oil over the last few years.  63% think oil companies
such as Exxon or Mobile have a great deal to do with the rise in price,
while only 30% think it's normal supply and demand.  I'd be very curious to
see that broken down by party, but I think it is reasonable to assume that
more Democrats blame oil companies for problems than Republicans.

Dan M.