On Jul 28, 2006, at 9:01 AM, Nick Arnett wrote:

"US House Resolution 5319, the Deleting Online Predators Act (DOPA), was passed by a 410 to 15 vote tonight. If the Resolution becomes law social networking sites and chat rooms must be blocked by schools and libraries or
those institutions will lose their federal internet subsidies." (See
http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/07/27/us-house-resolution-targeting- myspace-web20-passes-410-15/)

With "news" coverage like this, it's no wonder that parents and congress
are running scared:

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/youtube/the-most-brilliant-thing-youll- see-all-day-176349.php

From the page:

    So a local television station in Cleveland decided to put
    together an "investigative report" on the dangers of allowing
    your children to go to the public library. What did they do?
    They put a hidden camera in the computer room and waited for
    some poor sap to start "having sex with himself."

    They found that man, and that man was an Ohio State fan. What
    happens next will change the way you see humanity. You're going
    to watch this and think it's some sort of sketch comedy troupe
    prank. It isn't.

We just shouldn't allow people into the libraries _at_all_. At least
not adults. Or children, for that matter. Just the librarians. And
then only if they can demonstrate that they've never "had sex with
themselves". Or something.

Sheesh.

Dave

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel ... myself."