On 8/3/06, Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I quoted from the National Intelligence Estimate of October 2002, which
> is available in many places on the net

I wasn't sure if you obtained your quoted directly. A quick read of that
estimate shows numerous claims that Hussein had  significant WMDs in his
possession.

Try again.  It says no such thing.  Having stockpiles of chemical and
biological agents is not the same as having biological and chemical weapons
of mass destruction.  It's like having bullets, but no guns for them.

"They never said there was an 'imminent' threat.  Rather, they painted an
objective assessment for our policymakers of a brutal dictator who was
continuing his efforts to deceive and build programs that might constantly
surprise us and threaten our interests."

is consistent with the released version of the report.

Yes, and it rather unambiguously implies that they did not see evidence of
WMDs, since Tenet surely would have considered them an imminent threat.

I think the danger right now is that without effective inspections,
without
effective monitoring, Iraq can in a very short period of time measured in
months, reconstitute chemical and biological weapons, long-range ballistic
missiles to deliver these weapons, and even certain aspects of their
nuclear
weaponization program

I'm not arguing that that isn't true.  The ability to  get a program going
again is not the same as having WMDs that constitute an immediate, imminent
-- pick your word from all the words the adminstration used -- threat.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
[EMAIL PROTECTED]