On 6 Aug 2006, at 2:06AM, Dan Minette wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:brin-l- [EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of William T Goodall
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2006 8:01 PM

Isn't the real question about whether the state owns one's body or
oneself? And how women's bodies are still seen as property in a
patriarchal society? How does a state which permits and taxes the
sale of carcinogenic tobacco products and does nothing about the
obesity and diabetes causing products of the food industry have any
legitimate interest in the intimate contents of a woman's own body?

If it is a state that protects people not from themselves, but from other people who wish to do them harm, then this can be inherently consistent
behavior. It depends on who we call people, and what we call things.

It may be consistent but it is also absurd.

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible."
- Bertrand Russell