> Jim Sharkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>

> It's certainly hard to convince people without food
> that the red-
> footed gnatcatcher's needs are greater than their
> own.  Even if you
> can convince them in the abstract that the
> extinction of another
> species is a Bad Thing (tm), convincing them in the
> "real" when their
> priorities are more along the line of survival is
> something else entirely, I'll warrant.

Responsible ecotourism and 'fair trade' companies
could really help in this area, by giving economic
incentives for preserving, or at least minimally
impacting, various ecosystems, such as reefs, jungles
and river basins.  As Bob said:

BobZ wrote:
"In a sense ecology is for the rich; it is up to the
rich who use a vastly disproportionate amount of the
worlds resources and who have the technologic skill to
do something about the environment to do it. This is
not charity it is self-preservation for the haves as
well as the have nots. A major economic and
environmentatl upheaval will create chaos. It
will scramble the deck. Those on top are unlikely to
be on top afterwards not because they are inherently
corrupt but because being on top is luck in the first
place and you tend not to get lucky too many times in
a row."

Educating the rich about their peril, should chaos
befall, is rather what Al is attempting to do with his
movie, I think.  Of course 'doing it because it's
right' is good and noble, but some people need to see
why sustaining a healthy environment and helping the
have-nots out of severe poverty are important *to
their way of life.*

Debbi
Educate, Inform, Empower Maru