Charlie Bell wrote:

On 01/09/2006, at 9:52 AM, Andrew Crystall wrote:

On 31 Aug 2006 at 18:26, David Hobby wrote:

O.K., if it's purely a money making venture, why all
the wacky UFO doctrine?  Seriously, with all that money,
L. Ron could have hired a GOOD writer, who would have
come up with something guaranteed to work better than
the Xenu volcano story!  I'm going with "joke"...

I'm going to ask your connection with them. This is bluntly a typical
sample of their tactics.

Andrew--

You ARE a bit touchy about this subject.  If you read
carefully, you'll note that I've been consistently
making fun of Scientology.  Sorry that I've touched a
nerve.  (Oh, and no connection at all.)

I think both of you are correct - it may well have *started* as a joke. But those who took over the running of the CoS in the 70s/80s turned it from a joke into a slick operation to make themselves very wealthy, and turned it into a very dangerous organisation.

Charlie

Charlie--

Thanks, but shouldn't you being doing something else
about now?  : )  Best wishes to you and Claire!

                                ---David