This one, probably not.  But, my wife...who's worked in sexual abuse for
years, and has never been a Catholic has mentioned that denial has been
typical of society.  Back 30 years ago, sexual abuse of children was thought
to be an extremely rare event.  We now know it's quite common.  Girls and
boys who had the courage to speak out were, more often than not, punished
for telling lies.

This does not excuse the hierarchy of the Catholic Church.  By protecting
their own, usually by various forms of denial, they have betrayed those they
have promised to nurture.  That is a horrid act.  But it is not a unique
act.  Most of the time, children are sexually abused by members of their own
family.  This does not support the conclusion that families are inherently
evil.

We know that pedophiles like to get jobs that put them in contact with
youth, like church youth workers, boy scout leaders, girl guide leaders,
teachers, etc.  This does not make any of these organizations inherently
evil.  Up until recently, most of these organizations didn't believe in such
accusations. Society as a whole has been in denial about these occurances.
Indeed, FWIW, psychoanalysis was started by Freud's denial of the prevalent
of sexual abuse of girls.

Dan M.