On 4 Sep 2006 at 5:36, Charlie Bell wrote:

> On 02/09/2006, at 6:41 PM, Andrew Crystall wrote:
>

> > Further, ID has very little to do with belief that G-d created the
> > universe...
>
> ...apart from all the major ID spokespeople have said at various
> times that the designer is God, and a number of them are YECs who

Ah, kinda missing my point, Charlie. It's not to do with that, but
rather that they haven't been able to get creationism taught as
science, so this is just another shot at the pie.

> > I, as many Jews, believe that G-d created..evoloution, and
> > set in chain the process which lead to Man.
>
> This here is theistic evolution, not ID. Theistic evolution is
> indistinguishable from secular evolution at the level of science.
> It's only a matter of whether one is a believer in God or gods or
> not, not whether one thinks evolution happened or not.

Yes. Gets back to the book _Genesis and the Big Bang_.

> > Conflict? WHAT conflict?
>
> The conflict is between people who think science should be science
> and religion should be religion, and if you're religious you can
> understand God's universe by studying it, and those who think that
> studying it is anathema because we already know all the answers
> through revelation.

Again yes...I'm saying that as a Jew, I don't see the conflict.

"those who think that studying it is anathema"

...are not Jews. Judaism has allways had a strong scientific
tradition, and no theory is thrown out purely because it "conflicts
religious beliefs". To do so it so limit what G-d can do. One
considers scientific facts seperately from religious ones.

I have no fondness for any form of fanatic, especially ones pushing
religious and philosophical arguments as scientific theories.

AndrewC
Dawn Falcon