On 08/09/2006, at 2:20 PM, jdiebremse wrote:

I hesitate to write the following, as while I have been thinking about
this post for some time, the recent thread on "religion" makes this post
somewhat dangerous.   So I'll just say up front that I am not going to
get involved in an atheism vs. religion discussion....

;) Too late...

I'm curious as to why you make a decision between their "religiosity"
and their "religious fanatacism."   Isn't the use of the word
"fanatacism" simply a way of trying to distinguish "their religion" from
"our religion."   For example, is there really any difference between
the building of the moai and the building of Christian Cathedrals -
undertakings which often took generations?    Was the building of
Christian Cathedrals an example of Christian "fanatcism"?

Good question. Where does "devout" become "fanatical"? I think you may be onto something here.

Charlie