In a message dated 9/17/2006 3:29:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I think  a key point in the moral tale is the assumption that the population
lived  on the island for hundreds of years before the deforestation took
place.  This fits well with people who are in touch with the land and know
how to  live wisely.  The moral tale then has them fall from grace, and  using
up resources on trivial things (the statues being the best  example).  If,
however, the problems start with the rats gnawing seeds  from the very
beginning, as well as human cultivation from the very  beginning, a different
picture emerges.
I did not take Diamond to be saying that religious fanaticism was the sole
cause of the collapse. Although I have not read the book in awhile I think he
meant to show that the isolated population could not sustain itself for  a
variety of reasons including lack of  accessible fish etc. A civilization may
last for  centuries before its actions sufficiently degrade the environment.
Think of Mesopotamia. When it was the cradle of civilization it was the
fertile
crescent. Now it is mostly desert (that is it is Iraq). How  did this happen?
Over time the people living in the region degraded  the environment (cut down
the trees - always a bad idea). But  it took quite a long time.  In the Easter
Islands it is  possible that the civilization that was already in decline
when the  practice of making the statues began in earnest in response to that
decline.

This leads to my argument.  It is dangerous to make  general conclusions from
limited data about prehistoric civilizations   (prehistoric in the sense that
we do not have a history of the civilization  to study.)