> For those of you who are thinking about implementing
> an online> BASIC interpreter, here's one that's
already
> running:>
> http://www.pachesoft.com/rockerferbasic/

This is a great idea.  But need to make a list of
attributes that such an implementation would need.

1. A good welcome page that gave extremely simple
instructions for use, just clicking a button and
beginning to type in the code from, say a textbook.
But with links that can lead to tutorials and other
info, if students want.

2.  tested with some of the more common textbook
examples, to be sure they work, with a minimum of
steps.

3. link to a LIBRARY of cool games and short demo
programs... with a method for people to inload their
own contributions.

4. A very easy to use graphics pop-up screen, that
shows pixels moving in response to the program.

5. Something I think would be great.  a button that
lets you iterate the value of "n" each time you press
it, instead of just letting the program zoom ahead.
Great for students who want to watch the algorithm
gradually change in time.

6. A list of cooperating institutions and text
publishers.

Obviously if you add my laundry list.  This starts to
look like a substantial project.  The good news is
that a version that works "basically" could then lead
to a grant to finish it...

...But I am more an instigator than finisher.  Alas,
now I must go on to hurl OTHER grenades!

> PS: The Good Doctor's eulogy for BASIC is mentioned>
in the
> "Maturity" section of the Wikipedia entry for
BASIC:>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC

Kewl!