At 04:22 PM Sunday 10/1/2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 9/27/2006 5:44:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Which  can take years or even decades.  Another example
from medicine that I  am hard put to explain, except to
think that no one _wanted_ to believe  such a thing was
so widespread, is something that I was still taught  in
the mid '80s:  Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted
disease,  except that in some cases where children must
be sharing bathwater or  toweling with infected
adult(s), they can become  infected.

Big changes should take years to be accepted. They must prove themselves
against the older established theory. In the process of exploring the new
theories many unanticipated facts become known and science moves into anew
direction.

However, in medicine (as in some other areas) people are suffering and dying during all those years. Particularly when the "established theory" is "stress" or "IAIYH" as it was with ulcers as well as initially with MS and many other diseases later shown to have a physical cause.

-- Ronn!  :)