----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Henson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 4:46 PM
Subject: There might be a way out

> The idea of solar power satellites has been around nearly 4 decades.
> The
> physics and engineering are sound and the economics *almost* makes
> with
> rockets.
>
> Now the possibility exists that an early nanotechnology product,
> carbon
> nanotubes, might be strong enough to build a space elevator.
>
> The efficiency of space elevators using laser powered climbers is
> almost as
> poor as rockets  But if you can make one with a moving cable, then
> it is
> possible to lift parts for a power sat at low enough energy cost
> that the
> energy payback time is a day or less.
>
> http://eugen.leitl.org/A-2000-tonne-per-day-Space-Elevator1.ppt
>
> Free viewer for power point if you don't have one:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=428D5727-43AB-4F24-90B7-A94784AF71A4
>
> If you are interested, ask questions.

Howdy Keith!
Glad to see you posting!

You might be interested in joining [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The web page is at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/space-elevator/?yguid=80654082

Brian Dunbar posts to this group as does Blaise Gassend. There are
dozens of physics and engineering minded people discussing the subject
at a level far above the comprehension of simple mortals such as I.

I forwarded the link from your previous post on the subject to this
group a while back.

xponent
Cross Pollination Maru
rob