On 5/16/07, Deborah Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > jon louis mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <snipped all but:>
>
> > by the way; what is maru?
>
> IIRC, Rob wrote a nice post about that when I was a
> List newbie and asked the same thing; I won't be
> anywhere near as thorough, but, in short:
>
> Maru is part of a Japanese ship's name, as in
> 'Kobayashi Maru.'  On-List, it's used as part of a
> post signature title, and usually relates to the
> content of the post, with humor, silliness or even
> seriousness "value-added."  If you look back at Rob's
> recent posts, you'll see.  Double and triple entendres
> are additional admirable features, worth more points
> in the ongoing "I'm terribly clever, don't you agree?"
> games.  <evil grin>

Considering the naval nature of "Maru", I guess it makes it all the
more appropriate that my first read yielded: "...are additional
Admiral features..."

I seriously never realized that the Brin-L was a secret naval warfare
simulation...  but then again, I guess just about all debate is when
you are a Vice-Admiral of the Narrow Seas*, not that anyone here is,
of course.

* Just found it a perfect time to use an old insult:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1719448

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/