> William T Goodall wrote
>
> Dr. Miller's data reveal some yawning gaps in basic knowledge.
> American adults in general do not understand what molecules
> are (other than that they are really small). Fewer than a
> third can identify DNA as a key to heredity. Only about 10
> percent know what radiation is. One adult American in five
> thinks the Sun revolves around the Earth, an idea science had
> abandoned by the 17th century.

I was rereading this message and this reminded me of something that
happened at my daughter's school.

They were having a science day with the theme of astronomy.  Parents
would come in and give short prepared presentations in different
classrooms as the kids would move from class to class.  My wife
volunteered and was given some information on eclipses.  Part of it
stated that while a solar eclipse occurred when the moon came between
the Sun and the Earth, a lunar eclipse occurred when the Sun came
between the Earth and the Moon.  Even after she pointed it out to the
teacher responsible for the materials, the teacher said it was correct.
That was very scary.

 - jmh

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for
privileged information or otherwise protected by law. Any unauthorized review,
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of
the original message.