----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Minettte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Killer Bs Discussion'" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 7:24 PM
Subject: Civil WAr

And they certainly did, but at the cost of their former affluence, so
I don't think you can minimize the impact of freeing the slaves. How
many decades did it take for the agricultural South to recover?

http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/ransom.civil.war.us
Quote:
"Whatever the effects of the war on industrial growth, economic
historians agree that the war had a profound effect on the South. The
destruction of slavery meant that the entire Southern economy had to
be rebuilt. This turned out to be a monumental task; far larger than
anyone at the time imagined. As noted above in the discussion of the
indirect costs of the war, Southerners bore a disproportionate share
of those costs and the burden persisted long after the war had ended.
The failure of the postbellum Southern economy to recover has spawned
a huge literature that goes well beyond the effects of the war. "

To avoid wandering too far from the original point, I think you have
to understand the reasons why the political and economic entities of
the South decided to fight in order to understand why there was such
patriotic fervor (Confederate) in the region and why it persisted for
so long.

>> > As I said, there was slavery in the North prior to the Civil War,
>> > but
>> > it was not economically necessary as it was in the South. It much
>> > like
>> > the way Illegal immigrants are hired these days to increase
>> > profits by
>> > keeping labor costs low.
>>
>> But, it was abolished during the early 19th century.

Mostly abolished. In 1860 there were slaves working at the White
House.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9076827/White-House
Quote:

"Until the Civil War, however, most White House servants were slaves.
"

http://www.newstatesman.com/200607100033
Quote:
"The atmosphere was such that black people were still being bought and
sold as property in Georgetown as late as November 1861 - even though
President Lincoln signed a local law the following year to free slaves
eight months before his landmark Emancipation Proclamation of 1862.
The white slave owners of Georgetown, DC (as it was then known,
because it was not officially absorbed into Washington, DC until 1895)
demanded compensation, and an "Expert Examiner of Slaves" was brought
in - this was a local phenomenon that did not happen elsewhere in the
country - who, after examining the slaves' teeth and health in
general, assessed their overall value at $300,000."

> Indeed, slavery was
>> close to being abolished throughout the Union during that time,
>> with
>> Virginia coming within one vote of abolishing slavery on several
>> occasions.

I know that is "official", but not strictly accurate:
http://www.slavenorth.com/index.html

Quote:
"Slavery in the North never approached the numbers of the South. It
was, numerically, a drop in the bucket compared to the South. But the
South, comparatively, was itself a drop in the bucket of New World
slavery. Roughly a million slaves were brought from Africa to the New
World by the Spanish and Portuguese before the first handful reached
Virginia. Some 500,000 slaves were brought to the United States (or
the colonies it was built from) in the history of the slave trade,
which is a mere fraction of the estimated 10 million Africans forced
to the Americas during that period. "

>> > Well, I think you have to consider that the majority of those
>> > monuments were built long ago when attitudes were quite
>> > different.
>> > The social inertia that supported the building of such is pretty
>> > well
>> > spent and is unlikely to ever build momentum again.
>> > I'd go so far as to say that with regard to the subject of
>> > racism, the
>> > South is in better shape than the North or the West. Things have
>> > changed a lot here.
>>
>> They have...I also agree that Texas has made more progress than
>> many
>> northern states, but DWB is still an offense.

Yes, but that is true pretty much everywhere in the country, even
sometimes when Black law enforcement officers are involved.

xponent
Large Subject Resources Maru
rob