Jon and friends,

On Sep 17, 2007, at 11:42 AM, jon louis mann wrote:

> Dave Land wrote:
>>
>> A) Please do not respond off-list to comments made on-list except
>> when
>>    handling a personal attack.

<snip>

>   i agree, dave. however, i once responded to someone off line, but
>   only because my reply was not relevant to the topic.  the response,
>   in effect, was anything i had to say could be posted online.

After thinking about what I wrote, I change my mind about putting a
prohibition about "going offlist" in the guidelines: it's not the
list's business if I want to have a private conversation with
someone. If you don't want to hear from someone on the list
privately, say so in a return private message and they won't
trouble you again.

On Sep 17, 2007, at 11:48 AM, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

> Dave Land wrote:
>>
>> B) Please do not post emails received off-list to the list without
>>    the permission of the author.
>>
> I believe this is so basic that it transcends any list rules.
> But I would qualify: "do not post parts of private e-mails to the
> public without the consent of the author of those parts".

Evidently not. I've had two of my private messages forwarded to the
list this week.

Dave