On Dec 19, 2007 6:26 AM, Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.economist.com/research/styleGuide/index.cfm?page=673903
>
> This is a list of words that get misused a lot.

The Economist is a British publication, so the usages (and spelling) are not
necessarily the same as we'd consider proper on this side of the pond.
Around here, I don't think it is particularly uncomplimentary to say that a
salesperson or company is aggressive.  And we spell etiology without that
silly extra 'a.'  And a brokerage is and does over here.  Etc.

As for "among" and "between," that one annoys me when people misuse it...
and every time I have to use the BETWEEN operator in SQL, I'm slightly
annoyed.  In SQL, BETWEEN 1 AND 10 means 1 to 10 inclusive, even though the
actual integers between 1 and 10 actually are 2 through 9.  But I manage.

I hate "centered around," no matter how you spell center/centre.

Back when integrated circuits were less common, I was frequently amused by
the notion of discreet electronics.  We could probably use more of them.

I see "disinterested" misused more and more.

"Frankenstein was not a monster, but its creator. "  I think this is just
pickiness about metaphor, which drives a lot of language.  The word has come
to mean the monster.  At least over here.

"*Haver* means to *talk nonsense*, not *dither*,* swither *or *waver*.
"  Haver?
Swither?  These are English words?

My mother the English teacher despises the word "hopefully."  I'm not so
bothered.  Sometimes I use it just to see if she'll still correct me.
Hopefully, some day she won't.

A sad omission -- phase and faze.  Every time I read that someone was phased
(or unphased), I think Star Trek and its phasers.  At least I think those
were phasers, not fazers.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett