On Dec 28, 2007 3:08 PM, Charlie Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nick, if you can remember where you read that, there's someone at my
> work who might be very grateful.

It was in the New Yorker -- a Malcolm Gladwell article about profiling:
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/02/06/060206fa_fact

Excerpts:

"I've seen virtually every breed involved in fatalities, including
Pomeranians and everything else, except a beagle or a basset hound," Randall
Lockwood, a senior vice-president of the A.S.P.C.A. and one of the country's
leading dogbite experts, told me. "And there's always one or two deaths
attributable to malamutes or huskies, although you never hear people
clamoring for a ban on those breeds. When I first started looking at fatal
dog attacks, they largely involved dogs like German shepherds and shepherd
mixes and St. Bernards—which is probably why Stephen King chose to make Cujo
a St. Bernard, not a pit bull. I haven't seen a fatality involving a
Doberman for decades, whereas in the nineteen-seventies they were quite
common. If you wanted a mean dog, back then, you got a Doberman. I don't
think I even saw my first pit-bull case until the middle to late
nineteen-eighties, and I didn't start seeing Rottweilers until I'd already
looked at a few hundred fatal dog attacks. Now those dogs make up the
preponderance of fatalities. The point is that it changes over time. It's a
reflection of what the dog of choice is among people who want to own an
aggressive dog."

"The strongest connection of all, though, is between the trait of dog
viciousness and certain kinds of dog owners. In about a quarter of fatal
dog-bite cases, the dog owners were previously involved in illegal fighting.
The dogs that bite people are, in many cases, socially isolated because
their owners are socially isolated, and they are vicious because they have
owners who want a vicious dog. The junk-yard German shepherd—which looks as
if it would rip your throat out—and the German-shepherd guide dog are the
same breed. But they are not the same dog, because they have owners with
different intentions."

"A fatal dog attack is not just a dog bite by a big or aggressive dog,"
Lockwood went on. "It is usually a perfect storm of bad human-canine
interactions—the wrong dog, the wrong background, the wrong history in the
hands of the wrong person in the wrong environmental situation. I've been
involved in many legal cases involving fatal dog attacks, and, certainly,
it's my impression that these are generally cases where everyone is to
blame. You've got the unsupervised three-year-old child wandering in the
neighborhood killed by a starved, abused dog owned by the dogfighting
boyfriend of some woman who doesn't know where her child is. It's not old
Shep sleeping by the fire who suddenly goes bonkers. Usually there are all
kinds of other warning signs."

Nick

--
Nick Arnett