Lance A. Brown wrote:

>> The problem with corn is that it produces a lower energy ethanol.
>> Sugarcane *is* much better in that regard.
>> But why are you worried about sugarcane? We don't use it all that much
>> in the US, even for making sugar. Last I heard, sugar beets was the
>> big resource in that industry. (In the US that is.)
>
> I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, tha using any food crop for ethanol
> production would inflate the price of said food crop, leading to
> economic issues for the heavy users of that crop.

This is not necessarily true - if there's unused land and
the new crop grows into that land, then this would have no positive
impact in the food price. The reverse would even be more likely,
since if it becomes not viable to turn the food crop into fuel,
the new crop would compete with the previous crops, making
food prices cheaper.

Alberto Monteiro