On 05/08/2008, at 7:31 AM, Jon Louis Mann wrote:
> it is true much of religion is evil, and promotes lies and
> superstition, but some good is also done in the name of religion.
> more so in Judaism, and less so in Islam and Christianity.  some of
> the eastern religions are more mystical than supernatural.  as for
> morality, i have to agree with Alberto that some horrible deeds have
> been committed by atheists.  Tibet is being forcibly modernized and
> brought into the 21st century, Buddhist monks are being slaughtered
> in the myanmar, etc.  i don't know which is the greatest evil, but i
> agree with nick that there is room for compassion.  i myself am
> guilty of baby killing a couple times when i paid for abortions.  i
> have mixed feelings about that...

"By atheists" and "in the name of atheism" aren't the same thing. It's
about, as was mentioned a few posts back, ideology. When beliefs get
in the way of reason. And in that sense, Stalinist Russia, Nazi
Germany, Spain under the Inquistion, Maoist China, and the Balkan
conflicts are all the same thing. It's ideology.

"Atheism" is not an ideology, it's just a position of non-belief in
gods. The one problem is that a large proportion of humanity seem to
be wired for religion, so if one decides they don't believe in God,
there's some room for other dangerous nonsense to fill the gap. In
Russia, that was Marx-Leninism and Lysenkoism, and very similar in
China.

As you were. I'm about to hop on my bike and ride to work.

Charlie.