> They shouldn't be, and in an economy and social/cultural
> framework that cultivated proactive thinking at least in the
> majority, they wouldn't be.  The problem is that the existing
> paradigm tends to go ahead with business as usual until it
> becomes totally unsustainable,
> *then* start developing technologies to deal with the crisis,

My point exactly.  In a Utopian society, the thinkers and scientists would
proactively look for solutions with the full support of society in general.

However, we are talking about America, a country that thrives on, and
worships convenience.  It's not convenient to consider Global Warming, it's
not convenient to consider alternative energy sources, etc.