> Olin wrote at the end
> These are all scientific questions though.  If the answers don't come form
> there, where will they come from?

Sorry for cutting almost everything, Olin, but your last question is a great
lead-in to my next post discussing the basis of ethics, better, worse, good
and bad.

This post has proven the most difficult to write, because there are so many
aspects and ways to get it at it, it has become hard to write something even
as limited as L3.  Although it is posted fairly soon after the previous
section, there were days between the finish of the first and the start of
the second.  But, after a bit of thinking, I've found a way to go about it.
And, after the last bit of discussion, I found a way to (I hope) improve its
connection to our present discussion.

So, there seems to be at least a few of us who agree that the naturalistic
fallacy is just that, a fallacy. But, if we don't go that route, then where
does one ground basic concepts of good and evil, right and wrong, better and
worse?

I've seen two clear alternatives to this question, and a whole lot of stuff
that I can't make heads or tails of: denying both of the clear alternatives,
not falling into the naturalistic fallacy, yet not saying anything I can get
may hands around.  (BTW, I don't need to agree with an idea to understand
it; I just need to see the worldview._

The two clear views are these: morality, better, worse, etc. are based on
axioms that are posited (i.e. taken on faith) or they are just tools of
politics.

The latter is post-modernism, especially as espoused by Michel Foucault.  I
read Discipline and Punish fairly thoroughly, was active for a while (around
the Skokie hoax) on the Postmodernism newsgroup, and while definitions are
slippery, this understanding keeps on reoccurring.  Truth is simply a tool
of politics and power.

The former view was the understanding of the Enlightenment.  It is most
famously espoused in the preamble to the Declaration of Independence

A number of atheists as well as theists have ideals they hold to be true.
They believe in human rights.  For example, most atheists that I know accept
some form of the Golden Rule.  I think its accurate to say that most folks
on Brin-L believe in the Golden Rule in one form or another.
Now, IIRC, Charlie had some quibbles with "do onto others as you would have
them do unto you."  He noted, correctly, that others may want and need
things differently from your own needs and wants.  (Reminds me of the old
story of the monkey who killed a fish while "saving it from drowning)."

But, I think taking that statement in a more general and not literalistic
sense is all that's needed.  One should try to understand the truth that
(according to my memory) Charlie wrote on this topic in one of our previous
discussions.

My personal favorite version is "love your neighbor as you love yourself"
because this balances the importance of neighbor and oneself.  I know people
who are so self-sacrificing that they neglect themselves.  How best to do
this can be the subject of tremendous debate, since we do not have enough
information to know outcomes.  But, that's not my central point here.  My
central point is that the Golden Rule is an axiom; inherently unprovable.
The only way to prove it is as a theorem from another axiom that's not
provable: e.g. because we are all made in the image and likeness of God we
must love one's neighbor as oneself.

Well, that wasn't as long as I feared.  So, let me end with some general
questions.  Who here accepts the Golden Rule (even with some quibbles) as
valid in at least one of its forms?  How many folks are true
post-modernists, who think there is no better, no worse, just personal
desire and politics?

Dan M.