Dan M wrote:
> "Oh, the irrationality."  Why would people be reluctant to by one day notes
> from GE.  Does any sane person think GE will go belly up _tomorrow?_  That's
> what the interest rate measures...the willingness of folks to buy GE notes.
> All of a sudden, buyers dried up.  That's a measure of the panic. A rational
> market wouldn't change GE's interest rate that quickly because companies
> with idiots as managers (e.g. AIG) went belly up and had to sell most of
> their equity to the government at a discount or go bankrupt.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here, to some degree. Your
premise is not as true as you might like. The interest rate may have a
long-run *tendency* to approximate the credit-worthiness of a borrower,
but in the short-run it is simply the price that clears the market for
loanable funds. If there is a sudden sharp reduction in supply, as
happened here, it will result in a sharp increase in the interest rate.

Now, you might say that the sharp reduction in supply is irrational, but
I don't think that is the case. As you initially postulated, the
interest rate for any particular loan is a function of the risk of that
loan, and we have had a revelation in recent days that evaluation and
pricing of risk was seriously wrong throughout much of Wall St.

Regards,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien         TANSTAAFL
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      Linux User #333216

"The theory of quantum electrodynamics describes nature as absurd from
the point of view of common sense. And it agrees fully with experiment.
So I hope you can accept nature as she is--absurd." --Richard Feynman