On 25/09/2008, at 10:31 PM, Bruce Bostwick wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2008, at 9:37 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Requiring qualifications to express an opinion is demanding the
>> acceptance of argument from authority, a poor place to situate
>> foundations.
>
> Especially for those of us with enough understanding to form opinions
> of our own.  The fact that I am not Somebody important shouldn't take
> away from the value of what I have to say, if the idea can stand on
> its own merits.  :)

Anyone can have an opinion, but surely it's better to at least agree
that someone who has studied a field and has experience in that field
might know more about that field than someone who just read the
Wikipedia article. They might still, of course, be wrong. But it's
more likely that they'll be nearer right than someone who did
something entirely different.

There are always exceptions. Some people are truly polymathic. Some
people just have obscure hobbies that they're really really into.
That'll come out in conversation, no doubt. But the truth is,
everyone's opinion on a particular subject is *not* as valid as
everyone else's.

Which is why, to take a completely random example, I weigh Dan's and
Rich's opinions on physics or the oil industry far higher than I do
Dan's on biology or economics, or Rich's on modern warfare (say...),
but give Rich weight on history of ancient civilisations 'cause I know
he's a very keen amateur.

It's just how it is. In general, people on this List are very well
read and know a lot. But we don't all know the same stuff. Which it's
why it's great to see people try to back up their opinions, and in the
best discussions, see a mind changed here and there.

Charlie.