Martin Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I liked it:
>
> http://www.strangehorizons.com/reviews/2008/09/anathem_by_neal.shtml

Interesting review. I must admit this comparison would have never occurred to
me:

"In fact, with its longeurs and constant debate, it occasionally resembles an
unholy hybrid of The Republic and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and
it can be every bit as tediously wearing as that sounds."

I haven't read either of those, but I believe I can see what you are getting
at. Although I didn't find it as tedious as you suggest, since I didn't expect
a lot of character depth from Stephenson, and I tended to glide over the
philosophy passages.

One thing you didn't get into in the review which I found interesting was the
segregation of Tens, Hundreders, and Thousanders, and the effects this had on
preserving (or creating) knowledge and culture. Actually, I think Stephenson
could have done more with the idea, but....well, I was going to say something
that might give away too much for those who haven't read it yet. Rather than
discuss it now (with a warning), I think I wait until a few more people here
have read it.