As had been mentioned here before, they are both very highly leveraged.  My
memory is that Barclay's leveraged 30 to 1 and Deutsche Bank is leveraged about
50 to 1.

That means a modest run on ether bank will result in them becoming unable to
give people who request the money they put in the bank that money.

Now, you may mention the recent purchases of banks that have had runs on them
by other banks (after the FDIC paid off part of the bad debt).  Let's look at
the assets of these banks from Wikipedia:

Citibank        $1.50 trillion
Chase   $1.78 trillion
Wachovia        $783 billion
WaMu    $307 billion

You notice that Citibank is almost twice the size of Wachovia and Chase is over
5x the size of WaMu.  Both have 10% reserves, so they felt they were in
position (with the Feds covering part of the bad debt) to buy the assets of the
smaller banks.

Now, let's look at Barclay's and Deutsche Bank.

Barcley's  1.27 trillion pounds   2.3 trillion dollars
Deutchbank €2.020 trillion        2.9 trillion dollars

If there is a run on one of them, the obvious thing to do is to find a bigger
bank with less leverage than 30-50 to take over the assets.  Do you know of any
candidates who are in place to do so?

Even if they didn't make toxic loans, good loans can turn bad with a panic
pretty soon.  Even if the long term position for the banks look good, they have
precious little margin to survive a run. If there is a run on either bank that
causes a failure, who is big enough to step in?  As far as I know, the answer
may be the EU & the US government put together, but no private institution.

Dan M.