WTG wrote:
> The fifth-columnist aspect of that is somewhat relevant but I think
> the dual-identity theme although related is different. I don't have an
> explanation and am just putting it up for discussion but it's
> interesting that the TV Zeitgeist has thrown this up this year. I
> suspect that Whedon's twist on the notion may be more subversive than
> _My Own Worst Enemy_ :-)

The dual-identity theme seems very PKD-like at first, but I think that it
makes the most sense in comparison to the lead-in show *Chuck*.  They both
seem to be two sides of the same "escapist coin", where one average man ends
up a wild spy life (one with a computer in his brain, and the other with a
manufactured personality) with the real difference being drama versus
comedy.  One of the io9 commentators mentioned the idea of a Chuck/MOWE
cross-over, and I definitely agree that that might be exactly what the two
shows need: Chuck needs a little bit more serious stakes/drama at times and
MOWE needs to crack a joke more often...

As for Dollhouse I don't see it being that similar...  sure it has the
"personality switching" thing, but where MOWE is pretty firmly spy-fi,
Dollhouse has the benefit/advantage/curse/undoing (depending on which side
of the consumer/producer divide you are on, of course) of being able to be
much more of a "Thing a Week" show vibrating amongst the action-variant
genres as it wants to, and switch gears completely as often as the audience
would allow.

On a complete tangent: Is anyone else surprised that not only can Mike
O'Malley (of Nickolodeon GUTS and _Yes, Dear_ "fame") *act*, but he seems to
be the most interesting character(s) on MOWE?  At this point I'm wondering
if Raymond ("Boy Scout") and Tom (OfficeSpace-reject) are in fact secretly
the real main characters of the show...

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net